VTP schema versioning updates

John Swinbank swinbank at princeton.edu
Mon Apr 15 00:57:37 CEST 2019

Dear all,

In discussion with our old friend Bob Denny, I realised that the state
of the XML schema associated with the VOEvent Transport Protocol is a
mess. Specifically:

- It refers to a telescope-networks.org namespace, which is a domain we
  no longer own (and which is currently discussing the benefits of
  electrolysis for removing body hair). While that's not strictly
  _wrong_, it's at least confusing.

- The examples in the VTP recommendation
  (http://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOEventTransport/index.html) version
  2.0 are all labelled “version="1.0"” and refer to a
  “Transport-v1.1.xsd” schema.

- The schema is not available from the locations advertised in the VTP
  standard (http://ivoa.net/xml/Transport/v1.1 and
  http://ivoa.net/xml/Transport-v1.1.xsd).

To address this, I propose:

- To make a series of small updates to the VTP recommendation to resolve
  the discrepancies.

- Following the above, to work with the IVOA to put the resultant schema
  at http://ivoa.net/xml/VTP-v2.0.xsd (“VTP” being a less generic name
  than “Transport”).

A draft of the changes I propose to the VTP recommendation is here:

  https://github.com/jdswinbank/vtp/pull/2

I'd be glad of any comments. In particular, note that this is purely a
"book-keeping" change: it switches around namespaces and versions, but
doesn't make any alteration to contents. As such, I'd like to solicit
opinions as to whether it would be an appropriate erratum to VTP 2.0, or
whether it requires a new version of the standard.

Cheers,

John