Timesys note review

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 29 14:54:24 CET 2018

The vast majority of astronomical data that reference Universal Time
cannot be said to be UT1. If a data product does not trace back to UTC,
then UT is the only appropriate default choice. This is similar to not
preserving more decimal places than supported by input arguments, or not
overreaching on units by reporting microseconds when millisecond or
second accuracy is appropriate.

Indeed, most UT1 values in recent decades would have resulted from
applying the DUT1 correcting to UTC, and would only be precise (and
hopefully accurate) to 0.1 seconds. But more frequently the values
represent the generic notion of Universal Time (UT) and handling of leap
seconds or precision traceability back to a reference clock as would be
needed to claim conformance to the UTC standard are neglected.

Rob