Timesys note review

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 10:50:31 CET 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, François Bonnarel wrote:

> The main issue there is not (to my eyes) that ref can come in several contexts
> but that there is one single ref allowed on each element, which is coming from
> xml itself and not from VOTable properly.

No, it is a VOTable constraint.  VOTable could have been written so
that you could make multiple references from a single element,
e.g. by giving the ref attribute the type xs:IDREFS rather than
xs:IDREF.  But it's not.  In principle it would be possible to
change that without invalidating any existing VOTable instances,
since anything which fits IDREF also fits IDREFS.  But I'm not
proposing that we do that.