Timesys note review

Tom Donaldson tdonaldson at stsci.edu
Tue Dec 4 16:29:31 CET 2018

Hi Markus, et al.,

Thanks for the thorough write-up.  I think I’m on board with the concept, and happy to help shepherd it through the VOTable change process, but I do have a few questions and comments.

  1.  In the note PDF, tables 1 and 2 are awkwardly interspersed with the content describing the TIMESYS attributes.  Even a footnote is split across two pages.

  1.  My domain knowledge on this is weak, so I will have to defer to others for the final word, but from a computing point of view, I don’t yet understand the need for the timeorigin attribute.  Is it just a convenience for values that are offsets, or is it a fundamental part of the time scale or system?

     *   If it is just a convenience, is that really necessary?  The full description of timeorigin made me pretty concerned as a client developer (i.e., I’d be disinclined to implement support for it), so I’d like to be assured that the attribute and its use are well-defined and worthwhile.

     *   Although in the astropy Time class (http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/api/astropy.time.Time.html#astropy.time.Time.SCALES ) I did see clear use of time scales nearly matching those proposed here, I didn’t see any use of a time origin.  Again, this is probably just my ignorance on how times are defined and used, but:

                                                              i.      An implementation showing how those values would be used with astropy would be extraordinarily helpful to me to demonstrate the purpose and usage of timeorigin.

                                                             ii.      If the attribute is needed, I’d still need to be convinced that the convenience values JD-origin and MJD-origin are worth the added complexity.

  1.  I have never been super happy with the context-dependent meaning of “ref” (it can refer to a COOSYS, TIMEDEF, TABLE, GROUP, etc., depending on where you are, and not all the reference semantics are clear).  I realize we’re kind of stuck with that concept for now, so I’ll just ask the dumb question of whether or not a FIELD that references a TIMEDEF may also want to reference something else such as a GROUP.

Thanks for considering my questions,
Tom