May 2016 InterOp

Rob Seaman seaman at lpl.arizona.edu
Fri Apr 29 01:22:14 CEST 2016

Hi John,

>> It would help if such discussions were announced in advance to VOEvent / TDIG. If held in Tucson (or there’s a video link), I would be happy to attend, but you should also reach out to the other ANTARES folks, and if solar system use cases are included, also to the new IAU/MPC ADES format folks (http://minorplanetcenter.net/iau/info/IAU2015_ADES.pdf).
>
> Sorry if I wasn’t clear — this was an LSST internal meeting, to which the general public wasn’t invited (not even TDIG members!). I mention it merely for your background information. Several LSST folks will be at the InterOp (and may be at Hotwired), so there will be plenty of opportunities for future discussion.

Perhaps also a discussion topic for the summer all hands meeting in Tucson?

> As you describe, despite several attempted starts, we haven’t seen wide adoption of SimpleTimeSeries.

The starts referred to were to get IVOA to simply recognize this already existing option. This latest question was more-or-less “Hey, should I use SimpleTimeSeries?” and the response was neither yes or no, but that some other guy finds SimpleTimeSeries too simple for his project or tastes, but also finds the already bloated conceptual alternative from IVOA to be too simple. Rather, should people who do find SimpleTimeSeries responsive to their requirements infer that IVOA will support this choice?

> In any case, I actively encourage those members of the community who are facing these challenges to consider the available technologies, to build new ones when necessary, and, where appropriate, to step up and help drive the process of standardizing them and making them available for others.

So TDIG would welcome adoption of SimpleTimeSeries by those projects who need, well, simple time series? ;-)

Rob