May 2016 InterOp

Jiří Nádvorník nadvornik.ji at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 08:18:29 CEST 2016

Dear TDIG,

reacting to the poll of current activity on this topic, I would like to
share our efforts in Czech Virtual Observatory.

Wishing to keep time series within the  general VO framework (i.e.,
VOTable), we decided to base our time series representation on the Cube DM.
We are using the idea of a sparse cube as outlined in Cube DM draft (
http://www.ivoa.net/documents/NDimCubeDM/20150320/WD-CubeDM-1.0-20150320.pdf
).

The reason for this is that this model perfectly suits any kind of
timeseries data generically (light curve, radial velocity, power spectra,
etc.) as they are all essentially sparse cubes. The heart of our proposed
format lies around axis descriptions (e.g. timeAxis, observableAxis for
light curve; timeAxis, velocityAxis for radial velocity timeseries, etc.),
the rest (e.g. provenance, curation) can be reused from other models.

We use obsCore for discovery of these cube timeseries.

We are also working on SPLAT-VO to be able to parse the information about
those axes from the VOTable. We'll show what we have so far in Cape Town,
where we'll be happy to discuss the details.

Cheers,

Jiri Nadvornik
Peter Skoda