XMPP as VOEvent transport

Jean-Paul Le Fèvre jean-paul.lefevre at cea.fr
Thu Sep 24 16:07:14 CEST 2015

Hello, especially John,

As you may know the Svom project was frozen a couple of years ago due to budget difficulties (as usual). Fortunately the money has been found and the spacecraft will be launched by the end of 2021. As a consequence, on the ground segment, we have to work hard to get ready for this date since there is a pretty big amount of software to develop.

Since the beginning of the project I've been promoting usage of VOEvents to distribute our alert messages and I've convinced my Chinese colleagues to use this technology. We have rapidly found an agreement and we have started to play with XMMP openfire servers quite successfully.

Some preliminary pieces of code are available at http://svomtest.svom.fr:8000/messaging/
(It is a work in progress and there is no guaranty whatsoever that this code is still working properly)

Two aspects still need to be studied :
- synchronization between 2 servers (the future one in Paris, the other one in Beijing)
- the pubsub functionalities

My goal is to have some results to validate our approach available by the end of next spring (A Preliminary Design Review will take place in June 2016)

Apart these technical questions I'm facing other difficulties:
- How to make VOEvent concepts well understood and used by scientists ? These folks are very conservative and sometimes lazy : moving from GCN to VOEvent is really hard for them.
- How to interpret correctly the VO standards (possibly in draft version) ? Specializing VOEvents and especially VOEventStream for a specific mission is not so easy.
But I guess that these questions could be the subject of new other threads.

Regards,

--
Jean-Paul Le Fèvre jean-paul.lefevre at cea.fr – CEA Irfu
Svom French scientific centers project manager