Pre-InterOp VTP draft

John Swinbank j.swinbank at uva.nl
Tue May 13 09:34:28 PDT 2014

Dear TDIG,

In advance of next week’s InterOp[1], I have returned to my efforts to update the VOEvent Transport Protocol note.

As a reminder, the current version (1.1) of the note by Alasdair & Bob resides at <http://www.ivoa.net/documents/Notes/VOEventTransport/>. I have previously sent draft versions of an updated version to this mailing list, most recently in May of last year. My twin goals are to address the issues which I encountered when developing an implementation of version 1.1 and, ultimately, to shepherd the document towards adoption as an IVOA recommendation.

In addition to minor changes to the wording and formatting of the document, I have made the following more significant revisions:

- Add Section 3.1, describing design goals of the protocol.
- Add Section 8, detailing requirements for message de-duplication to avoid network loops.
- Specify an explicit interval requirement to connection maintenance messages (§5).
- Clarify the semantics of nak transport messages (§6.3).
- Make it explicit that brokers should not attempt to repeat delivery of messages which meet with a nak on the first attempt: VTP does not support the concept of a “temporary failure” (§§6.3, 7.3).
- Reword the descriptions of protocol operation so that they describe only the traffic exchanged over the network and not the implementation of the various entities (§7).
- Allow timezone specification in iamalive <TimeStamp /> elements (§§6.1, 6.2, 6.3).
- Remove identifying information from example XML documents (§§6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 9.2.2).

I have also converted the document from MS Word to LaTeX.