Are different versions of the same event unique?

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 29 14:37:21 PDT 2012

On 3/29/12 2:01 PM, Alasdair Allan wrote:
>  The IVORN is the event, not
> the packet, identifier.

Thank you for this Alasdair, absolutely agree. Keep the Representation
separate from the Data. I would also like to add Meaning to the stack:

(1) Meaning: eg Betelgeuse goes supernova
(2) Data: a packet with VOEvent semantics,
	that is used to carry information about (1)
(3) Representation: of (2) as a byte sequence in XML or other

Thus the signature goes with (3) and the IVORN with (2).

Of course (1) is really a hypothesis -- that the various observations
support a particular physical explanation.

Thus in Skyalert we have used the Citation semantics of VOEvent to build
a "portfolio" of observations: data packets as in (2). The Meaning is
then carried by the portfolio.

Roy

---
Caltech LIGO