Are different versions of the same event unique?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Mar 29 14:26:29 PDT 2012

Alasdair wrote:

> The broken thing is that this question got asked.

Rather, one might want to encourage discourse :-)

> It's inherent in the entire design that reserialising an event packet in a different representation doesn't change the IVORN. The IVORN is the event, not the packet, identifier. You can serialise or store it however you like.

IVORN = IVOA Resource Name

Without getting too philosophical, the wiggle room on this issue is what a Resource Name is compared to an Identifier.  Questions and the resulting discussions are how that room is dewiggled.  There was some prior discussion among a small group and it seemed prudent to bring it to the WG.  As a result my own initial reaction has evolved, and perhaps others have as well.

In any event it is good to see that the WG stands ready to dive into an issue again, broken or not :-)

Rob