Are different versions of the same event unique?

John Swinbank swinbank at transientskp.org
Thu Mar 29 13:14:55 PDT 2012

Dear all,

On 29 Mar 2012, at 18:58, Matthew Graham wrote:

> So should different serializations of the same event carry different identifiers?

The consensus (so far, at least) appears to be "no", and, practically, that's something I agree with.

However: I don't think this is clear from the VOEvent standard. It tells us that an IVORN is used to resolve a particular "VOEvent packet", and (although I'm not sure it's plainly stated), my reading is that a "packet" is a specific representation, rather than the information contained within. In other words, while I agree with the views expressed here, I certainly don't think the answer is necessarily immediately obvious.

Cheers,

John