Signing events

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:34:44 PST 2012

Yes I too have been thinking quite a bit about security -- as John
points out, we don't want just anyone publishing spam! Here are the models:

(a) signing the bits of the event.
(b) signing the "information content" of the event.
(c) verifying the identity of the publisher.
(d) verifying the IP address of the publisher.

As John notes, the problem with (a) is its brittle nature. For example,
the iPhone app for CRTS events has its own Skyalert server at lsst.org;
when it receives an event from skyalert.org, it grabs all the images
(URL at caltech.edu) and copies them, then changes the links in the
event to lsst.org. Now the bits are different, but the infoset is the
same. Similarly, the 10^8 LSST events will have links back to a deep and
massive and slow archive, but the most popular 10^2 LSST events will
actually be hosted elsewhere with links to a smaller faster cache.

Skyalert takes approach (c), trying to verify the identity of the
publisher. And I recall there is something like (d) with GCN (?) where
the IP address is used as an implicit identity for providers. Certainly
LIGO used mechanism (d) for trigger release during the last science run.
The advantage of this approach is that the identity can be established
at the beginning of a session, and 10^8 events exchanged wihtout the
overhead of verification for each one. It also allows information to be
sent in other formats (eg a tar file of 10^8 events), or the JSON
serialization of VOEvent.

There are other functions of a mature event network that we might
consider when deciding on a security mechanism. An event repository and
the queries on that might need security (private events and/or big
queries). In this case signing events does not help, rather we need an
identity for the person making the query.

What would be really nice would be a way to have "sideband information"
in vTCP, a way to send something in addition to the VOEvent. The
sideband could contain authentication, observing instructions, a URL for
the event -- all the information that, for one reason or another, is not
in the VOEvent itself. This would make vTCP much more flexible and useful.

Roy

---
Caltech LIGO
roy at caltech.edu