Signing events

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Mar 5 06:50:27 PST 2012

On 2012 Mar 5, at 06:01, Rob Seaman wrote:
> More fundamental yet is how the signed or unsigned VOEvent packets themselves will be used.

> For a comparable situation note that FITS was envisioned as purely an interchange format,
> but has been forced by the requirements of the community into a permanent archival role.

There is a significant difference because the F of FITS is
"flexible".  That allowed individual organizations to experiment
with additional elements in the files without invalidating them.
The desire to validate VOEvent content means that a VOEvent is
only as flexible as the schema, and right now that does not allow
for any experimentation by users.

While XML-DSig is very complex, it does allow a very flexible
ability for one or more signatures of various different components
of the VOEvent.  I think there's a chicken and egg problem in
demanding use cases prior to allowing the XML-DSig as a valid
part of the VOEvent schema.

--
Steve Allen               <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory      Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855