0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jan 5 16:02:41 PST 2012

Alasdair Allan wrote:

>> Thanks for this work, John, I think after all the talking, you are the first to actually run some tests! But ......
>
> As I've repeatedly mentioned before, I ran similar simulated network tests several years ago.

We welcome your renewed participation!  :-)

Roy Williams continued:

>> When I fetch the paper mail from the mailbox in front of my house, I have no difficulty carrying the quantity of paper. Not so easy is the task of separating out unwanted mail, connecting messages with their previous context, and deciding how to respond to what is left. On the publishing side, I have no problem carrying 100 blank envelopes (or even 1000!), but it would take me a long time to write 100 letters. Therefore let us not buy super trucks that can carry up to 1000 kg of envelopes! Because the rate-limiting step is not the bulk of the messages, but rather the evaluation of those messages.

This is the "Miracle on 34th Street" effect:

	"Hey Lou, how many Santa Claus letters we got at the dead-letter office?"

	Lou:  "Bags and bags all over the joint.  And there's more coming in every day!"

System integration is in the edge cases.

Rob