VOEvent References

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Wed Mar 16 14:58:21 PDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 2:04 PM, Matthew Graham wrote:
> Get the humans out of the loop as much as possible - they can go "ah"
> and "ooh" at pretty pictures. The future of astronomy is machine
> astronomy.

Matthew

Yes of course. The events are created and processed by machines. But the
*streams* are built and connected up by humans who know what they are
doing, like I have been doing with many event authors in the last 2 years.

Building the stream is like setting the thermometer in the house (a
human activity), followed by the heating system going on and off 1000s
of times (automated activity), analogous to the event delivery and
processing.

The human understands that there is a light curve, and arranges for
automated analysis of it, with the *knowledge* that the analysis is
scientifically suitable for the data.

Are you suggesting that more formalism in the VOEvent structure could
somehow replace this human understanding?

Roy