VOEvent References

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Wed Mar 16 12:28:22 PDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 12:15 PM, Matthew Graham wrote:
> From the 2008 NVO report:
>
> "[VOEvent] V2 will add support for time series, orbital elements,
> science use case specific external schema, formal vocabularies,
> digital signing of packets, and enhanced reference and registry
> technologies"

I would say we got 5 out of those 7, and the registry stuff will be
ready as soon as the VAO allows Matthew to build it. As for the
"external schema" thing, is anyone ready to elaborate and argue for its
usefulness and feasibility?

-- There is support for time series: this is represented by a <Table>
element with a column that is time. The IVOA strong metadata can be
added through Utypes.

-- Orbital elements, for example:
<Group type="ivoat:keplerianElements">
   <Param name="a"
   <Param name="eccentricity"

-- Connecting up arbitrary external schema .... well I'm glad that
threat is over!

-- Formal vocabularies are used in the <Reference
type="ivoat:lightCurve> and the above example with <Group>.

-- Digital signing: my understanding is that this can be done with XML
comments after the standard is defined
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/Notes/VOEvent/VOEventDigiSig-20080514.html

-- Reference technologies, see the <Reference> discussion, yes we got that.

-- The registry technology (as you know) is not all built yet, and the
speedy REC for VOEvent2 will make that happen faster.

Roy