VOEvent References

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:29:52 PDT 2011

Mike
I should probably not talk any more about <Reference>, since my work
does not use it. Instead, there is another way to indicate URL links in
a VOEvent, specifically as a Param, for example:

<Param name="Light curve chart" ucd="meta.code.url"

value="http://nesssi.cacr.caltech.edu/catalina/20110314/1103141070764142069p.html">
     <Description>Light curve for the alert</Description>
</Param>

The point here is that the author and subscriber can understand the
meaning from the *stream* metadata, figure out response, well in advance
of the arrival of the first event. Then *every* event of the stream will
have this same semantics.

Whereas the Reference name and type is unconstrained and not seen until
the event arrives. I have no idea how to make code that can respond
effectively to an arbitrary <Reference>.
Roy