0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

John Swinbank swinbank at transientskp.org
Tue Dec 27 11:21:17 PST 2011

Hello,

On 27 Dec 2011, at 18:15, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Assuming these events are distributed from Chile, the current network latency is
> ~250ms, and the vTCP requires at least one round-trip to message to complete
> delivery.  For 2e6 events sent one at a time the latency alone makes this transfer
> on the scale of 1-2 weeks

Presumably sending in series isn't required…

But fair enough: point taken! I revise my earlier statement – perhaps people *are* pointing out deficiencies in the TCP protocol. That makes discussion of other systems even more relevant, but still doesn't mean existing infrastructure is being replaced or deprecated any time soon.

Cheers,

John