0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Dec 27 09:34:07 PST 2011

Hi Rick,

> Here, here!  We should provide a vanilla solution

Which we long since have done, hence the follow-on transport meeting at VOEvent II leading to the IVOA transport note, and the Hotwired book pointing to same.

> and let people who want to use something else simply do it - if it turns out to be so much better in the mid-term, then there's more than enough time to switch.  The only thing we could do as a "value-added" feature is maintain a loose collection of solutions, particularly those whose fancy features are only open-ended (i.e. can immediately connect to, e.g., vTCP).   Things like 0MQ and ICE are wonderful in a closed solution space, but it's nicer to have things easy on your end even if the other end isn't.

If you put together an abstract along these lines there is still time to submit it to the SPIE Observatory Operations conference:

	http://spie.org/as107

Your participation and a contribution on a related topic would add to an already strong program.

Rob