0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

John Swinbank swinbank at transientskp.org
Tue Dec 20 11:34:05 PST 2011

Hi Roy,

On 20 Dec 2011, at 16:11, Roy Williams wrote:

> As we continue to wrestle with VOEvent transport, new (and simpler) protocols arrive. This looks promising ....
>
> http://www.zeromq.org/
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?

I've used ZeroMQ (by way of its Python bindings) for shifting VOEvents around within our local network. It worked well enough, and was trivially easy to set up: literally just a couple of lines of code. I haven't yet investigated any of the advanced capabilities (fan out, pubsub, etc), but I have mused to myself about their applicability within our LOFAR systems and perhaps the wider community. I'd certainly be interested in further discussion.

Cheers,

John