RFC and IVOA

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Mon Apr 25 11:02:10 PDT 2011

Rob
I would say there are three places where the IVOA could benefit event
science through its standards process, and the VO projects could benefit
science through building robust software. See below for notes.

I will not be able to attend the IVOA. But thank you for putting the
VOEvent session at a reasonable time -- do you know if remote
participation might be possible/wanted/invited?
Roy

(1) Transport
	How will events be transported in real time?
	Prototypes running now based on:
		Email, Jabber/CACR, Jabber/LIGO, Dakota, ATELStream
	Current differences preclude interoperability
	Jabber standardization would be good if it comes with software!
		plus bridges to Email, Dakota and ATELStream
	Other issues: Who can send, Antispam measures, Signatures

(2) Registry
	Finding event streams and event servers
	Is a sample event sufficient to define a stream?
	Prototypes running now
		based on Skyalert at CACR, LIGO, PSU, and LSST
	Do we include replicated streams?
	What about a modified stream -- eg links changed to local cache?
	What about a stream that is a substream of another?

(3) Query
	Working with past events
	How to query a set of *portfolios* not just lone events
		Interesting queries are cross-stream
		SEAP proposal could be expanded to SPAP (P=portfolio)
	Prototypes running now:
		Python SPAP in Skyalert, JSON from iPhones