Description of L2 in STC

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Mon Apr 18 07:41:29 PDT 2011

On 04/18/2011 12:02 AM, Hervé Wozniak wrote:

> L2 point is 1,500,000 km not 150,000... just a factor 10 father ;-)

Herve
You are right about the distance from Earth to L2, but there is no
mistake below.  What is wanted for these observatories is a *region*
around L2 of about 150,000 km diameter, since that is the diameter of
the potential well in which the complex orbit happens.

Since STC already defines the words below, perhaps we should say in the
VOEvent document that they can say L2EARTHSUN or something like that. I
just wondered if there is anything already in STC, since I didn't see it
there.

In that case, do we also need L2MOONEARTH? Is there anyone observing
from there?
Roy

GEOSURFACE - any location on the surface of the earth
GEOLEO - any location in Low Earth Orbit (altitude<700 km)
GEOGSO - any location within Geostationary orbit altitude
GEONBH - any location within 50,000 km of the geocenter
GEOLUN - any location within the Moon's orbit