philosophical question about VOEvent

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 19 09:06:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

So let's see what the spec actually says: "The <What> and <Why> elements work together to characterize the nature of a VOEvent. That is: <What> was factually measured or observed to occur, versus <Why> in terms of its hypothesized underlying cause or causes". And in the <Why> section, the <Inference> element has an attribute "probabililty" which "is an estimate of the likelihood of the <Inference> accurately describing the event in question. It is expressed as a floating point number bounded between 0.0 and 1.0 (inclusive)."

So use "probability" in <Why> to report your "percentage measure of fit" and put the proper details of how likelihood was "factually measured" in the <What> section.

	Cheers,

	Matthew