Registry in RSS

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Thu Jan 14 08:28:50 PST 2010

I agree that there's no obvious immediate reason to worry about
VOEvent becoming obsolete.  Even if a new and fancy HyperTwitter
protocol came out and became the world standard for things like being
informed by your shower controller that someone has changed a filter
on their telescope half-way around the world, the content of such
important notices will necessarily be specialized and - on the medium
term - based on XML.   FITS was designed during a time when the 2880
blocks were an important constraint on the protocol - now no one
really cares and is nevertheless happy to continue to use the format.

Rick