Technical question about v1.1 VOEvent schema

Bob Denny rdenny at dc3.com
Thu Feb 4 13:15:35 PST 2010

I don't think it's necessary to update the 1.1 schema, as it would involve much
more than just the <what> section. Once Jean-Michel gets past that, he'll be
faced with the STC model, and will probably look for alternatives as I did.
Replacing the existing 1.1 schema with mine (again referring to my IVOA Note)

http://ivoa.net/Documents/Notes/VOEvent/VOEventReflections-20090220.html

would amount to q wholesale replacement. Recall, as I explained in that note,
that I started from scratch and build the schema by adding until I was able to
successfully handle every VOEvent message I could get my hands on.

Jean-Michel, for now I'd suggest using your edited schema if you are handling
STC in your code, or contact me directly for my latest schema which will handle
everything currently flowing over the VOEvent network, but without reference to
STC. It is almost the same as the schema in the above note - I've made a few
little changes is all.

Meanwhile, let's just make sure the 2.0 schema has been run through at least one
of the schema compilers successfully. That exercise alone will undoubtedly
reveal problems which can be addressed before 2.0 is released. I volunteered to
be one of those that runs those tests.

  -- Bob