VOEvent session

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Dec 16 15:51:25 PST 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Could you elaborate on this straightforward course?  Perhaps we can head off a counter-reformation.
>>

> I admit I don't always know what side of the reformation you are on Rob.

As chair my interest is in avoiding a religious war, not necessarily in any particular position.

> Yes, drop simpleTimeSeries (it's practically a groundswell at this point!)

"Groundswell" is an interesting word, whose original usage had implications of a large wave running a ship aground.  Before SimpleTimeSeries is dropped it would be good to hear from those who designed it - and who are actually using it to do science on a time series workflow.

Also, I'm glad to see work proceeding on time series data in both the IVOA and VAO.  When, realistically, can it be expected that this will be mature enough for the WG to know what magic beans we're trading our cow for?  I guess the idea is that we arrange for utypes in SimpleTables now and then at some point in the future we start populating the tables with officially blessed utypes?

Rob