VOEvent session

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Thu Dec 16 08:21:14 PST 2010

Alasdair,

In the "real" world, I believe to have heard that Ruby has replaced
Perl and Python.  And I believe to have also heard that Java is
effectively dead and isn't being used by anyone for "serious" work.
When I was young, one knew that the future was Lisp.

As far as JSON is concerned: one woman's <> is another man's {}.   If
you want simplicity: we could all agree to use Windows *.INI registry
file syntax and be done with it.

Complexity isn't a question of whether one uses <> or {} or whether
tags have attributes: complexity is simply complex and any hopes that
inherent complexity will suddenly turn into inherent simplicity are
bound to be dashed (which is not to say that inherent simplicity can't
be expressed in needless complexity, but VOEvent 2.0 is not about
inherent simplicity).

Rick