VOEvent session

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Mon Dec 13 19:57:45 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu> wrote:

> Can a "lightweight voevent packet followed by an arbitrary payload"
> correspond to "publishing a telegram"?

It makes every bit as much sense as a 'telegram' that contains enough data
for
a machine to make an automated decision, some might call that a data
product.

Mine was an off-the-cuff example but the idea is there is a separation
between some well-defined notice (the voevent packet), and some
arbitrary piece of data people might want to follow on (but which we
wouldn't need to characterize).  Think of a postcard, and then a postcard
(optionally) taped to a box:  In one case it's an IAU telegram, in the other
case it's that telegram taped to a box of tapes containing data, but the
telegram alone is enough to tell you whether to search VO for more data
or just open the box.

Poor analogies aside, FWIW I thought the whole point of a voevent was
your "Hey, over here....." idea.  Pushing around datasets has more of a
workflow or messaging feel to it, in which case separating the message,
the payload and the transport seem like better design ideas.

-Mike