Consensus

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Fri Dec 10 13:51:52 PST 2010

Consensus <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/consensus> is defined by
Merriam-Webster as, firstly - general agreement and, secondly - group
solidarity <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_solidarity> of
belief<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief> or
sentiment.

[I cheated and Googled the word].  The banter was in reference to the
tiimeseries
discussion where I don't believe we have either of the above.  I do NOT
believe
that 'consensus' means we collect everyone's belief and put them all into a
spec, a standard is of no real use until every affected user is at least a
little
unhappy about the outcome.

IVOA is now defining a common understanding of TimeSeries, why should
this differ from the VOEvent version of the same data-type?  VOEvent has
a community to serve I realize, but as part of IVOA it is merely a "cog in
the
grand wheel of the greater VO good" (tm).  Like I said, I think the bar to
justify going down a different path is now higher.

-Mike