Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Apr 9 17:05:49 PDT 2010

> I think that this is the clearest summary of what is in VOEvent 2.0
> that I've yet seen.

Thanks.  The editors have begun preliminary work on the document -
rereading it was a prerequisite.

It may help to describe what won't change.  No changes (other than to
contained <References>) are planned for <Who>, <How>, <Description> or
<Citations>.  The <VOEvent> element will only be updated with the new
version, although XML-ish changes may be described regarding
namespaces, etc.  The basic architecture of the packet will not
change, rather we seek to clarify and fill in the blanks on
functionality that was discussed at the very first VOEvent workshop.

The document will include some discussion of the important topic of
vocabularies.  No explicit requirements have been placed on the packet
format regarding vocabularies, but only on the content of specific
fields within particular packets.

VOEvent has always represented a delicate balance between virtual
observatory concepts and real (in particular, robotic) observatory
practices.  We will maintain that balance while prudently adding
features on both sides:

	http://www.mapsofconsciousness.com/12coins

(Borrowed from the ADASS data compression BoF.)

Rob