action items

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Sep 28 11:25:43 PDT 2009

#1 is what we have now.  It is not sufficient.  #3 is desirable,
perhaps necessary, but also insufficient - whatever the protocol
allows, we are unlikely to win consensus to force data types be
present for conformance.  Thirty years in, FITS headers are still
seeing numerical keywords expressed as strings.  It simply can't be
illegal to say "19" as a string.

Rather, I think SEAP is a good tool to drive forward improvements to
VOEvent's ties to the registry.  Either we use XML schema (or whatever
comes after the current flawed schema) in all their gory detail, or we
have to provide some alternate mechanism for distributing knowledge of
the semantics of different authors/publishers' use of params.  If not
the registry, then what?

We should discuss the best way to drive VOEvent v2.0, SEAP and
registry-based VOEventStreams forward.  If they are tied together,
which has to happen first?  Who will commit to deploying
infrastructure conformant to all three?  Etc.  I don't believe it is
any more trouble to wrap this all up with a pretty bow, we simply have
to lay out the steps to get there.

Rob