action items

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:37:29 PDT 2009

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Rather than send three more emails separately, here is a cafeteria
> plan.  Please select at least one of these three goals to work to
> bring to fruition:
>
>     1) VOEvent v2.0 - we need to reach a final decision (whether or
> not that means consensus) on time series - and we need to pick up the
> pen again and work discussions of time series, orbital elements,
> revised references, and the few other outstanding items into the
> document.

One approach that I have advocated is the following. First we allow the
<What> section of the VOEvent to contain a simple table as in (*). It is
a stripped down version of VOTable with just <Table>, <Field>, <Data>,
<TR>, and <TD> elements. An external table can also be referenced with
the <Reference> tag as anything elase can be. Note that many types of
table can not be used, we are not restricted to time series.

Then we define a Time series as a table that has a column which has time
(identified by the ucd=time.epoch). Or there can be other
specializations of the table concept, identified by Group Type.

(*)
<What>
<Group type="TimeSeries">
 <Param name="first" value="2007-07-01T21:44:00UT" ucd="time.epoch"
unit="iso8601" />
 <Table>
   <Field name="Time"         ucd="time.epoch"              unit="s"/>
   <Field name="Mag"          ucd="phot.mag; em.opt.R"              />
   <Field name="Uncertainty"  ucd="stat.err; phot.mag; em.opt.R"    />
   <Data>
   <TR>
         <TD>0</TD>
         <TD>13.2</TD>