action items

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:25:16 PDT 2009

> Um, did anyone take notes at Hotwired during my presentation on SEAP
> capturing what the audience requests were?
Matthew
Your talk from Hotwired summarizes the SEAP as of April 2008.
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/hotwired2/program/presentations/SEAP.pdf
Some of my comments attached.
Roy

(1) It says: "a FIELD with the ucd “meta.ref.url” containing the
location from which the full VOEvent packet corresponding to that record
of the table may be retrieved."
Question: How can I put in the SEAP response another URL that shows
more? For example
http://www.skyalert.org/event/xml/9997/ goes to the XML for the original
event, but
http://www.skyalert.org/events/6148/ is much richer with the whole portfolio

(2) The event IVORN carries multiple meanings. The general form is
ivo://authorityID/resourceKey#local_ID. We are using the first part to
define the event stream and the second for a local identifier of the
event. This we will need to search on the "preIVORN" (the part before
the #). To get all evenbts from the Fermi observatory, we want
preIVORN=ivo://nasa.gsfc.gcn/Fermi.

(3) Searching on authorIVORN may not be much help if the author did not
use that element. As it says in the VOEvent spec, "As an alternative to
quoting Author information over and over, this information can be
published to the VO registry, then referenced through an IVORN. The
<AuthorIVORN> element contains the identifier of the organization
responsible for making the VOEvent available."

(4) Params can be in Groups. This is not handled in the current version
of the spec.

(5) What can be done about searching on string parameters? Strict
equality? Contains? Startswith, Endswith?

(6) I am assuming that a "dataType" attribute will appear in the
VOEvent2.0 spec, so that we know whether something is a number or a
string. For strings "19" < "2" but for floats 19 > 2.

(7) If there are multiple constraints, are they combined with AND or OR?

(8) I think that the Units of a param should be left well alone. A SEAP
implementation should know that 2 < 19, but should not know that 2
kilometers > 19 meters.

(9) Some in the VOEvent community would like to build special schema for
things like orbital elements and tables. Once the What section has these
complex data types beyond numbers and strings, how will SEAP constraints
act on these?

(10) Is KML a mandatory output format?

(11) The last page of your presentation with the complex search regions
seems much too complex. I vote to support cone search only:
seap.pos.ra = 120 & seap.pos.dec = 15 & seap.pos.size = 0.5

(12) Which VOTable is being used? Remember the 1.2 will not be
compatible with earlier versions.

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670