New Large Science Program opportunity at the Mayall 4-m

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Nov 18 12:01:36 PST 2009

Back in July I pinged the VOEvent WG regarding the NOAO Survey program
(see below).  I was grateful for the response as two groups invested
their valuable time and energy in evaluating suitable science
programs.  (This is a confidential process, so I'll provide no further
details.)  That no survey proposals ultimately resulted says more
about the logistical and technical difficulties of time domain
astronomy than the quite significant enthusiasm of these two groups.
Given different circumstances (e.g., the preferred camera remaining at
a telescope in the needed hemisphere) it would work out differently
next time.

I thought I would bring an even more extensive opportunity to the
attention of the working group.  We are entering an era of gigapixel
cameras and coordinated observing programs on multiple apertures.
"Frontier" science will often require resources beyond the scale of
the current Survey program.  As such, NOAO will be issuing a CFP for a
Large Science Program (LSP) to be carried out on the Mayall 4-m on
Kitt Peak:

	http://www.noao.edu/currents/200911.html#system

This will be a program similar in scale to the Dark Energy Survey
(DES) being developed for the Mayall's twin, the Blanco telescope on
Cerro Tololo.  (Note that LSP and "survey" are not necessarily
synonymous.)

The CFP will be wide open in concept, both in the science and the
technology.  While DES does have a significant time domain component,
there is no requirement that the Mayall LSP must - alternately it
could be entirely time domain or transient response.  One of the goals
will be to develop new instrumentation - this could presumably be
optical or IR, imaging or spectroscopy.  (Note that the WIYN One-
Degree Imager will provide access to a gigapixel camera on Kitt Peak,
so one may infer that other classes of instrument might be
emphasized.)  Compelling science will ultimately drive the evaluation
of the proposal, but another significant component will be the data
processing infrastructure needed to enable science from the new
instrumentation.  Need I point out that this latter requirement is a
particular strength of the VO working groups?

This is obviously beyond the scale of anything discussed in the WG to
date.  LSST and other aggressive time domain surveys are looming,
however, and simply as a gedanken experiment it may be worthwhile if
we entertain the possibilities provided by such an opportunity for
transient response or other classes of empirical science with enabling
technologies such as VOEvent.  There are three contingent but separate
issues:

	1) What are the compelling time domain science programs for a 4-m O/
IR telescope in the north?

	2) What instrumentation addresses those programs?  Would it also
enable broader scientific investigations?

	3) What cyber-infrastructure is needed to maximize scientific return
from both LSP and community use of the instrumentation?

In particular for the VOEvent WG, are our various current efforts
creatively attending to such future infrastructure, whether it results
from this CFP or from other looming community projects?

Meanwhile NOAO's survey program and general TAC process continue and
are as available for time domain science as for any other.

Rob
----