Summary of VOEvent session

Frederic Hessman hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Nov 16 13:01:29 PST 2009

>> I presented Rob's slides about what has been happening with VOEvent
>> 2.0 (no real interest, even about time series representation) and
>> the future meetings for the VOEvent community (yes, we have a live
>> outside of IVOA).
>
> Hey Rick - are you going to be at SPIE?

Wasn't planning on it, but give me a good reason....

>> where is our data model if we are using Utypes as keywords (I will
>> look into what we need to formally say here).
>
> Cool.

There was mucho confusion/arguments about just what Utypes are, aren't
and should be.  Everything I heard made it sound as if they are just
specialized vocabularies and Norman pointed out that a vocabulary
namespace would enable everyone to agree on and have documentation for
a common set more easily than creating things separately and then
trying to match between attempts afterwards.

>> Ric Hessman spoke about vocabularies and this led to a slightly
>> more general discussion about them but nothing specifically
>> relevant to VOEvent.
>
> Likely still worth the effort.  (Easy for me to say.)

I agreed to take Matthew's Catalina vocabulary and turn it in to a
proto-VOEvent vocabulary.   The mini semantic session seemed to accept
my idea of making the production of a VOEvent vocabulary a good test
case for everyone else.

Rick