Registration opening for May 2009 IVOA Interop meeting

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Mar 10 11:37:17 PDT 2009

I was under the impression that the vocabulary infrastructure was
ready for adoption.  And I think we all expected some sort of VOEvent
vocabulary to result from the discussions that started at the original
workshop.  If most of this is subsumed by IVOAT now, perhaps even
better.

This effort can proceed independent of VOEvent v2.0.  All we need to
discuss for the standard is the question of how we want to use
controlled vocabularies of whatever sort.  If we can just pin down the
details of the XML plumbing, we'll be ready to take advantage of the
new semantics infrastructure as it becomes available.  And conversely,
VOEvent will provide a ready client for vocabularies to move these
beyond a theoretical exercise.

How do I say, "this is a supernova type Ia"?  What sorts of semantic
assertions are required or desirable for VOEvent packets?  How are
these represented?  (Somebody say something quick before Roy tells us
to stuff it into a Param!)

Rob
----