NOAO Survey deadline, 31 July

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jun 25 15:59:24 PDT 2009

Hola,

NOAO provides community access (meaning anybody with a viable program: http://www.noao.edu/noaoprop/help/policies.html)
  to a wide range of public and private observatory facilities.  For
instance, 419 observing proposals were received for 2009B.  In
addition, NOAO offers its survey program for more coherent long term
programs:

	http://www.noao.edu/gateway/surveys

The deadline for a LOI for the next round of surveys is 31 July
(proposal due 15 September):

	http://www.noao.edu/noao/noaonews/jun09/pdf/98obs_prog.pdf

There have been about two dozen surveys over the past decade, with
about one in five having a time domain component (e.g., SNe,
microlensing, KBOs).  It would be good to raise the batting average
from that of a utility infielder.  "Survey" has tended to mean
discovering such transient phenomena, but there is no overt reason why
a well-conceived program of follow-up observations wouldn't be
considered (assuming the obvious logistical concerns are efficiently
managed).  For instance, such a program could constitute a pilot
program for LSST follow-up.

The scope focuses on the scientific value of the data:  "A Survey
Program is a significant observational program which:
	• addresses novel, well-focused scientific goals;
	• enables scientific programs requiring large, statistically
complete, and homogeneous data;
	• provides a basis for planning more detailed follow-up studies;
	• enables extensive archival research; and
	• represents a significant enhancement over existing surveys."

I see nothing to exclude transient response and other time domain
programs - certainly not the requirement to provide a basis for
detailed follow-up!  There needs to be a plan for data management -
surely this plays well to our group.  And the proprietary period is
limited - surely a VOEvent hallmark.

The annual survey meeting is one of the more interesting events I
attend, both from the question of the science involved and the
diversity of experimental design layered on the same telescopes and
instruments.  It would be entertaining for me - as well as potentially
extremely valuable scientifically for you - if some VOEvent tiger team
were to pursue such a program.

Rob