Time Series Schema Issues

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 30 09:56:20 PDT 2009

Since it was decided that we cannot rely on order to be retained, they
would need to be enumerated - but that means enumerating them in the
schema; unless it would be decided to add a column number attribute to
each cell.

A comment on my third point:treating single and two-sided errors in an
equivalent manner can essentially be done in two ways: make all three
attributes to the Value element, or expand each column to four element
components: Value, Error, LoLim, HiLim (with each of them optional).

  - Arnold

Steve Allen wrote:
> On Thu 2009-04-30T01:17:06 -0400, Arnold Rots hath writ:
> > 1 Assuming that we allow multiple tables, will we allow each table to
> > contain only one quantity, in addition to timestamps, or a limited
> > number of named columns? In a sense, the former presents a transposed
> > version of the complete table: each column is provided, more or less,
> > as a row. Allowing multiple (6, 10, 12, 20?) columns would allow
> > people the option to put small tables in traditional table form.
>
> If more than one column, does this really mean columns which are
> distinguished by their (unique) names, or columns distinguished by an
> enumeration (for the sake of easy recognition and parsing) and which
> have added names and UCDs?  The latter is basically FITS tables all
> over again, except I think 999 columns is too many for VOEvent.
>
> > 2 We need to allow different data types. This can be done by
> > enumerating named columns of different data types in the schema and
> > let the document choose from them, or by deriving different types from
> > the same parent type and use "xsi:type=" in the document.
>
> In parallel with the previous, does this mean that if all the columns
> have the same data type then the columns would not need to be
> enumerated?
>
> --
> Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
> UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855
> University of California    Voice: +1 831 459 3046           Lng -122.06015
> Santa Cruz, CA 95064        http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/     Hgt +250 m

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu