IVOA agenda / ADASS BoF

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Sep 29 09:57:32 PDT 2008

Hola,

Folks attending IVOA or ADASS please note that schedules are now
online (although subject to change):

	http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpOct2008#Programme
	http://adass2008.artisan.net/bird.php

VOEvent has 2.5 sessions at the IVOA, plus an interest in several
others such as Semantics and Registry.  A rough schedule looks like:

	Mon 27 Oct (pm)
		Semantics: Vocabularies

	Tue 28 Oct (am)
		VOEvent v2.0

	(pm]
		Registry

	Thu 30 Oct (am)
		Semantics/VOEvent joint session

	(pm)
		VOEvent architectures

	Mon 3 Nov (after dinner?  Maybe Tuesday?)
		BoF: Architectures for Time Domain Astronomy

The next goal is to fill out the agendas for the individual sessions.

Please contact me if you want to talk at any of these sessions.  New
voices are always welcome.  Draft notices will go out in a few days
for topics left uncovered.

General goals:

- The Vocabulary effort is quite mature, and the goal here is
obviously to put it to bed as gracefully as possible.

- As VOEvent is ever more widely adopted and deployed, our need for
registry support will become critical.  Agreement in principle was
reached in Trieste on the requirement for a scientific resource,
VOEventStream, and a logistical resource, VOEventServer.  The goal for
Baltimore will be to challenge Matthew's prototype schema and reach
consensus in the WG.

- VOEvent v2.0 is now planned to move forward in coordination with the
VOEvent IV workshop (Santa Cruz, Spring 09).  In addition to time
series support, likely to resemble Rick Hessman's most recent
proposal, we will attempt to nail down the familiar topics from
Hotwired, namely orbital elements, external schema, a generalized
reference mechanism(s), as well as some usage clarifications for
params.  We'll also seek ways to move stream based digital
authentication forward.

- The last IVOA session and the ADASS BoF are intended to provide
forums for discussing the broadest issues of time domain astronomy.
VOEvent crosses boundaries of virtual and real astronomical assets,
and extends from very rapid phenomena to planning for very long term
projects.  The work facing the WG is extensive and intrinsically
fascinating.  We can hope the discussion will be both as well.

Rob