The State of VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jun 11 13:31:40 PDT 2008

Hi Bob, et. al.,

> Section 1 of this document may be of interest:
>
> http://www.uddi.org/pubs/SchemaCentricCanonicalization.htm

Interesting indeed.  I'm concerned to realize that there is, in fact,
no general XML canonicalization at all, but rather DTD or Schema based
canonicalization.  The VO is a Schema shop, so we need to take this
into account.  Given the age of the various documents, I'm also
beginning to wonder if we've yet tapped into the state of the art here.

 From the description it sounds like most of the issues are related to
fairly esoteric XML usage.  Perhaps folks could review both this
document and the W3C signature doc and see what VOEvent specific
issues might be lurking.  That is, I guess I'm not that concerned to
hear that:

	"Canonical XML contains a (pragmatically minor) security hole having
to do with how it processes certain esoteric node-sets."

We want:

1) to reliably authenticate VOEvent packets, and

2) to permit VOEvent usage that benefits from modern, evolving, XML
tools.

...which is to say that I simply don't see how we can assume that we
will sign a raw packet only.  Intervening links in the workflow may
well reformat the XML, making the packet different than the one
originally signed.  How then do we deal with this as simply and
reliably as possible?

Another way to look at this is that the whole point is to increase the
trustworthiness of our systems and of the data conveyed.  There is
some trade-off between the reliability of signing and the complexity
and efficiency of generating and evaluating signatures.  If a small
fraction of packets are unsignable for esoteric reasons, that may be
more acceptable than adopting a highly complex technology to render
these few technically signable, but calling into question pragmatic
VOEvent authentication for all packets.

And surely we will vet both signed and unsigned event streams for
proper convenance through the VOEvent network as it evolves?  Any
intervening relay that corrupts a packet should be corrected, not
force all packets to be rewritten.

Anyway, we're doing something wrong if key management isn't our
biggest issue :-)

Rob