enveloping, batching, signing

Kirk Borne borne at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 4 11:12:00 PST 2008

Hi.  Here are some "facts" pertaining to the LSST events....

1)  The science requirements document for LSST requires that all
events be identified and published to the world (VOEventNet) within
60 seconds of the end of each pair of exposures.  (One pair =
15sec expose + 5 sec readout + 15sec expose + readout & slew.)
So, the events will *not* be saved up as a "night's worth of events".

However....

2)  The Pan-STARRS project will find nearly all asteroids in advance
of LSST, by several years.  Therefore, LSST will "know" about these
asteroids and their orbits (likely tracks & positions within the images).
In these cases, since these are known objects, they are not *events"
in the usual "telegram alert" sense.  Hence, LSST will *not* be sending
alerts to the VOEventNet for known objects (asteroids, variable stars,
quasars, blazars, ...).

So, I think that things will not be quite as extreme as you might imagine
coming out of the LSST pipeline ... e.g., _*maybe*_ "only" 10-100 VOEvent
messages every 60 seconds, and perhaps significantly less.

- Kirk