VOEvent and Heliophysics Knowledge Base: new schema

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 09:44:28 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I emailed the VOEvent list about Lockheed Martin's
Heliophysics Knowledge Base, which uses a modified form of VOEvent packets
to record solar events. At the time, the VOEvent packets products by the
IDL SolarSoft routine vobs/ontology/idl/export_event.pro did not validate
against the VOEvent 1.1 schema. Following discussions at September's ADASS
VOEvent BoF, I have put together two new schemas and an example solar
VOEvent packet:

1. original HPKB solar flare voevent packet
http://www.lmsal.com/helio-informatics/hpkb/Flare_example.xml

2. solar flare voevent packet rewritten to validate against new
VOEvent-v1.1_lmsal and lmsal_v0.1 schemas
http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~eca/Astrogrid/xml/Flare_example_ECA291007.xml

3. LMSAL schema incorporating solar-specfic mandatory and optional
parameters from the HPKB website:
http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~eca/Astrogrid/xml/lmsal_v0.1.xsd

4. VOEvent 1.1 schema with new element "ExternalEventMetadata" as an
optional child of "What". ExternalEventMetadata has child "SolarEvent"
from the lmsal_v0.1 schema.
http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~eca/Astrogrid/xml/VOEvent-v1.1_lmsal.xsd

I'd be interested to hear your comments, especially on the proposed
"ExternalEventMetadata" element under "What". One question - the IVOA
Documents page lists VOEvent 1.11 as the latest tech spec, but the IVOA
xml page still lists VOEvent 1.1 as the latest schema. Is there a v1.11
schema lurking somewhere that I could use?

Best regards,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Auden, MSSL
Holmbury St. Mary, Dorking RH5 6NT
Tel: +44 (0)1483 204 276
eSDO Technical Lead, AstroGrid Developer