Hot-wiring agenda

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Mar 12 11:19:04 PDT 2007

Roy said:

> I was thinking that the VOEvent standard is finished now

The protocol is "finished" (meaning we should continue to expect the
need for relatively infrequent maintenance updates), but we're just
getting started with deployment and commissioning.  I wouldn't be
surprised at our fielding several generations of broker and transport
prototypes before the distributed system nears maturity.

> All we have to do is make sure they don't change STC under our
> noses ....

I've completed my first read-through of STC v1.30.  I think that the
last thing "they" (meaning Arnold) wants to do is change STC :–)

> For the SEAP, the first question is are we ready to standardize a
> protocol?

Easy.  No.  We're ready to be ready, however.

> Perhaps we should start by asking where are the current VOEvent
> repositories, why do people want to extract past events, and which
> events do they want.

Ok, we've started this conversation under a separate thread.

There is a second thread, whether it also falls under the heading of
"SEAP", or not.  This is the issue of the backbone topology and the
overall network architecture.  It isn't just the word "packet" that
makes me think that there are parallels between VOEventNet and
Internet technologies.  Authors connect directly to publishers.
Subscribers connect directly to brokers.  How do the packets get from
the original publisher to the final broker?  Or do subscribers need
to connect to multiple publishers?  What are the logistics of
negotiations between brokers?  Do all brokers talk to all other
brokers?  Do packets need a time-to-live field and other gizmos
familiar to Cisco?  In short, how are VOEvent packets routed?

> One of the key difficulties here is the <What> section with its
> free-form parameters. Queries will have predicates like "All events
> which have a Param called BANANA which have a Float value that is
> between 2 and 5". If we want to build forms that allow subscription
> and query, we will need to allow people to insert their own BANANA-
> type predicates -- because we do not know in advance what Params
> might be there.

I'm confident that application specific schema will evolve in the
fullness of time (for some applications, anyway).  Params are an
option to reduce the cost of VOEvent buy-in to a level that projects
are willing to pay.  I think they have been completely successful for
this purpose.

> This has been defined as a Registry extension. Publishers and
> Repositories of VOEvents should have a valid Registry record.
> Perhaps we can have a joint Registy/VOEvent session to figure out
> how to build these schemas.

Ok.  Let's start listing focus/session topics:

SEAP
Broker arbitration
Registry use for VOEvent
Packet authentication

> My take would be to make it work and get people involved in the
> simplest way first, before generalizing. Subscription to specific
> Publisher. Later, they can subscribe to an Aggregator if they want
> that. This provides both of the models you mention.

Yes.  Each publisher may support direct connections indefinitely.
Assuming we remain as successful as we've been at continuing to build
the VOEvent community, however, I believe a more scalable
architecture will be needed soon.

> You're building your own Registry? Why? Surely we can utilize the
> VO Registry structure? Perhaps we can revive Matthew's Carnivore
> registry and make sure it is happy with registering VOEvent nodes.

I didn't know his predator was hibernating.  Time for the prey to
play.  I've appended the diagram from my NVO summer school slides.
Let's see if I can resurrect my thought process from 1.5 years ago.
"SEAP" in this slide is some superset of the current transport
protocol - that is, VOEvent packets being moved from place to place.
The roles have changed.  Portal here is our current Publisher role,
while what used to be Publisher is now a Broker (or Aggregator as
some insist on calling it).

Authors generate content on the left in different formats.  It is
published and injected into what we now call the backbone.  It
bounces around the backbone like pachinko, and in some fashion the
content wends its way to a Subscribing client on the right which
passes it on to users in application dependent ways.  Just like the
current backbone, there are three nodes.  The reason for depicting it
this way is that with three nodes you don't have to worry about the
topology.  Is it a ring?  Or a star?  We haven't even had to fully
face fundamental client server/P2P questions yet.  On the other hand,
we do have a good notion of what publishing means and what
subscribing means.

So the original breadth of the SEAP notion was something like
transport (or preset query, if you will) + query (or delayed
transport, if you won't).  The red arrows, on the other hand, were an
attempt at depicting whatever service negotiations occur internal to
the backbone/network of brokers.  OAI is the Open Archives Initiative
which "promotes interoperability standards that aim to facilitate the
efficient dissemination of content".  Other people know infinitely
more about this than I do, but while OAI has been used
interchangeably with "registry" in the VO, it isn't obvious to this
naive observer that current registry technology exhausts the notion
of metadata harvesting that underlies the efficient dissemination of
content.

In particular, VOEvent packet streams have some pretty interesting
metadata - not just so-called science metadata, but actual content
and routing metadata.  I see the meta-conversation between brokers
that is superimposed on the actual packet transport as an attempt to
characterize the streaming of events in an adaptive, robust,
efficient (+ other good adjectives) fashion.  So it would be
simplistic to call this an internal registry, but I wouldn't be
surprised to reuse some of that technology.

On the other hand, VOEvent brokers (Publishers, Repositories,
Filters) should certainly appear in the normal VO registry for all
the obvious reasons.

Rob