VOEvent used for solar knowledge base

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Jul 20 08:34:16 PDT 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Frederic V. Hessman wrote:

> The initial SV proposal will be to create
> 	- a "VOcabulary" schema for publishing simple vocabularies that
> can be translated between each other (if the multitude of available
> vocabularies aren't good enough for your special purpose, create
> your own as long as you publish it in a form so that others can use
> it; we'll have lots of good examples for this in the proposal);
> 	- a very official UCD-like list of terms - the "Standard
> Vocabulary" itself - which can serve as a basic-vocabulary and the
> basic translation-medium.
> The SV and UCD vocabularies would eventually have to be merged into
> one for long-term practicability but could exist side-by-side for
> an interim period.

Perhaps you could comment on how the final assertion plays with the
goal of publishing multiple application specific vocabularies (which
I agree with strongly, particularly for VOEvent).

Will UCDs (and utypes, for that matter) simply become instances of
vocabularies?

> The bottom line is that we aren't yet there, so if you are worried
> about perfect VO-compatibility, using SV in UCD attributes should
> be verboten for now

However, note that the VOEvent <Why> element relies on natural
language.  There is no particular reason that SV and UCD might not be
deemed "natural".

- Rob