excellent book

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jul 18 14:18:39 PDT 2007

Hola,

Just want to recommend a book that showed up in our library:

	Chaos and Complexity in Astrophysics, by Oded Regev, Cambridge 2006

Lucid and elegant.  Pertinent to VOEvent, discusses the analysis of
time series and the (chaotic) dynamics of the Solar System.

More to the point, the reason for infrastructure such as VOEvent is
ultimately to permit future generations of theorists to benefit from
current observations and write their own profound books.  As Regev
says:  "The Moon-Earth-Sun problem is no longer on the agenda for
theorists of Hamiltonian dynamical systems, but it is useful to
remember the lesson we have learned from it."

You may also be comforted to learn that:

	"It seems that the [initial conditions] of the MES problem render a
dramatic event, like the Moon's ejection or its collision with the
Earth, rather unlikely."

Rob