The Napkin Representation

Silvia Dalla s.dalla at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 05:52:47 PDT 2007

Hi,

a few questions regarding the proposed new representation for
time series.

1. Is this representation aimed at Time/Flux time series only,
or should it be catering for time series of other quantities too?
(orbits of objects have been mentioned by others earlier).

2. The simplest time series table consists of 2 columns only: one
giving the time and one giving the observable that is varying in time.
Is the new representation aimed only at this very simple time series?
Or can the representation describe more complicated time series tables
that have a time column and several columns for different observables?

3. Brad said:
> (of course, I still don't see why a VOTable wouldn't work, but that was my
> chief objection at the HTN/VOEvent meeting where The Napkin was wrote upon,
> blessing us all with The Napkin Representation, but hey... :-) )

For those that were not at the HTN meeting it would be useful to know
what are the objections against using a VOtable representation.
I can see that in a VOtable a time column is somewhat anonymous
and needs to be identified by UCD and unit (as discussed in Victoria).
On the other hand there are several VOtable parsers that work and
applications that know how to deal with VOTables.

I am not necessarily against a new representation but it would be useful
have the use cases, applicability and advantages of it clearly spelled
out.

best wishes,
Silvia

Silvia Dalla