Google Sky

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 11:16:20 PDT 2007

As I'm sure most of you are aware Google Sky was launched earlier
today (see http://earth.google.com/sky/) for more details. In the
spirit of throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks
I've knocked together a quick proof of concept demo, and connected
the broker in Exeter to a real time KML network link.

If you load http://www.estar.org.uk/voevent/voevent.kml in Google Sky
you'll have a real time feed of VOEvent messages flowing across the
TCP/IP backbone.

Of course unless there have been a few OGLE, Robonet-1.0 or GCN
messages since I started the feed to the network link there won't be
much to see yet, and I haven't really taken the time to annotate the
placemarks particularly well, but lets leave that for tomorrow. It's
late and time for me to pack in for the day.

Cheers,
Al.

PS. The network link above may not get served from the eSTAR with the
right MIME type as yet, I've got a ticket in with our network guy to
get the Apache server sorted out as I type...