VOEvent 1.1 draft definition: please comment

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 2 09:14:16 PDT 2006

Roy,

I think section 3.4 needs a little more.
I have appended a draft that is intended to read like a how-to guide.

Your parsing example: as I expressed to you before, I think it is
dangerous to rely on the coord_system_id attribute to determine the
nature of the spatial coordinate system that is being used, since it
is completely uncontrolled; this may be illustrated by your own
fondness for wanting to call it "BANANAS" :-)
Instead, trace it through that attribute to the AstroCoordSystem that
is being used and then parse the last component of the xlink:href attribute.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Roy Williams wrote:
> Dear VOEvent
>
> I have been taking the lead on editing the specification document for
> VOEvent packets, and I would appreciate your eagle eyes reading and
> commenting. We hope to present this draft of VOEvent 1.1 to the IVOA
> meeting next month, and for this to be essentially the final
> definition, so we can move on with implementation, move on to
> building GCN2 based on this. So speak now or forever hold your peace!
>
> Thank you for your invaluable help
>
> Roy Williams

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu