VOEvent 1.1 draft definition: please comment

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon May 1 16:16:09 PDT 2006

Dear VOEvent

I have been taking the lead on editing the specification document for
VOEvent packets, and I would appreciate your eagle eyes reading and
commenting. We hope to present this draft of VOEvent 1.1 to the IVOA
meeting next month, and for this to be essentially the final
definition, so we can move on with implementation, move on to
building GCN2 based on this. So speak now or forever hold your peace!

Thank you for your invaluable help

Roy Williams
----------------------------------

The VOEvent definition is here:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaVOEvent/VOEvent-v1.1-060501.html

And the accompanying draft schema is here:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaVOEvent/VOEvent-v1.1-060425.xsd

Here is a summary of the deltas from the 1.0 specification:
-- definition of roles in transport network as Author, Publisher,
Repository, Subscriber, and Relay/Broker/Filter
-- exposition of the interaction of VOEvent with VO registry;
registration of Event, Author, Publisher and Repository.
-- event identifier is actually two identifiers, concatenation of
publisher id and event label
-- clear adoption of  VO SpaceTime Coordinates for position/time,
recommended parsing usage
-- curation metadata lined up with VO registry curation -- an Author
is a registered organization
-- the Concept element redefined to hold controlled vocabulary to
describe nature of event

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670