another logo possibility

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Dec 20 18:41:04 PST 2006

Andrew said:

> Redhat has a red hat logo. You can't get much clearer than that.
> What does a
> VOEvent look like? If we want people to remember it, why not make
> make it
> simple, like redhat, etc, yet still astronomical enough to
> recognize that it may be an event?

Alternately, we could rename VOEvent "bluebowtie".

>> We shouldn't get fancy, we aren't designers here. Stick to
>> something simple.
> Yes.

Simple, yes - but anybody with Freehand or Illustrator can be a
graphic designer.  I would certainly think that most of us regard
ourselves as occupying some role in the software system design world.

> By using it we are emphasing the XML, which is just one way of
> representing
> something which (hopefully) is intrinsically more interesting than
> the semantics.
> Will we even want to stick with XML in a few years?

I suspect XML has more durability than most buzzwords of the day.  Am
doubtful about Schema, however.

Would not have thought semantics was a term of ill repute in the
VO :–)  It is precisely that the Chaco Canyon petroglyphs capture a
semantically recognizable representation of a particular, and
particularly spectacular and scientifically significant, celestial
event that raises them out of the ordinary.

I'm not sure what the opposite of "semantic" is, but a purely
empathic representation of a supernova: